Throughout his career, Seamus Heaney was a conscientious and inspiring teacher. He held teaching positions at Queen’s University Belfast, Carysfort College, Harvard University, U.C. Berkeley, and Oxford University. In addition to giving lectures all over the world, Mr. Heaney mentored now famous Irish poets, including Paul Muldoon (who said of his mentor: “he helped all of us develop our imaginative powers”), Ciaran Carson, and Medbh McGuckian. Known for his gentle, respectful personality and encouraging manner, it is no surprise that Heaney maintained lifelong friendships with many poets and students of all ages. Heaney was also a teacher to the countless readers who never met him but read his prose. Heaney’s own mentor was writer Thomas Flanagan (1923-2002), about whom he once said, “If I did something that was quick Tom would say, you’re better than that Seamus.”
Seamus Haney’s last words to his wife, were “Don’t be afraid.”
(Thanks to @UlfKirchdorfer for providing this tribute.)
Virtually anyone can benefit from having a mentor. And most well-known, accomplished and successful people can identify people in their lives who acted as mentors. Seattle Seahawk’s Quarterback Russell Wilson considers Warren Moon to be a mentor; while New England Patriot’s QB Tom Brady considers Charlie Weis and Drew Bledsoe to be mentors.
The following list of mentor pairs was compiled from a variety of sources including autobiographies, biographies, newspaper articles, personal interviews, and diligent historical research. Mentor pairs portrayed in fiction or movies are also included.
Pairings are divided into ten general categories. In most cases mentors and their partners could be included in the same category. However, where a mentor and partner are from different career or life areas, the pairing has been placed in the partner’s category. (A few historical facts or humorous references to the term mentor are included at various places in the listings.)
- Actors, Comedians, Producers and Directors (Stage, Screen and TV) View
- Mentoring relationships depicted in motion pictures and television View
- Musicians, Songwriters, and Singers View
- Classical and Broadway Musicians, Composers, Conductors, Ballet, and Modern Dancers View
- Fashion, Media and Celebrities View
- Artists, Writers, Photographers, Publishers, Novelists, Poets View
- Mentoring relationships depicted in print (novels stories, fiction) View
- Sports Figures, Athletes, and Coaches View
- Historical, Political, Spiritual and Civic Leaders View
- Business, Industry, Education, Science, and Medical Leaders View
Add a Pair
If you know of other mentor pairs that could be added to this list, please e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the names of the pair and any sources you have to verify the mentor/partner relationship.